Budae Jjigae Korean Army Stew
2 cups baechu (napa cabbage) kimchi
- 2 hot dogs (or sausages)
- 3 strips bacon (or about 3 ounces fatty pork)
1/2 can of Luncheon Meat
- 4 ounces tofu, sliced (about 1/2-inch thick)
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 mushroom caps, sliced
2 spring onion, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/4 red pepper, sliced - optional
- 4 cups anchovy broth (or beef or chicken stock)
- 1 tablespoon gochugaru (Korean red chili pepper flakes)
- 1 teaspoon gochujang (Korean red chili pepper paste)
- 1 tablespoon soup soy sauce (or salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 to 2 tablespoons broth or water
black pepper to taste
- Cut the ingredients into bite size pieces, and arrange them in a medium size shallow pot. Mix all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the broth, and stir in the seasoning.
- Cook over medium high heat until the bacon is cooked through and the kimchi has softened. Add the optional ramyeon noodles and more broth or water if necessary. (The noodles soak up a lot of the liquid, so I briefly cook the ramyeon noodles in a separate pot of water before adding to the stew.)
Eat the noodles first while they are still nicely chewy. This will also prevent the noodles from soaking up too much liquid from the stew.